Monday, 18 March 2013

Gene Partner: I'll have a bunch of roses and saliva sample, thanks!

So as if this fucking world couldn't get any weirder, we now have the option to find a date not by traditional means of coincidence or luck or even by the dreaded set-up by your relationship-happy friends who so desperately want to pair you up with someone. No, today you can find the love of your life (or maybe just an adequate sex-partner) through the wonders of genetics.

That's right folks. Fuck going out of the house any more, now you can not put on that cheap suit and douse yourself with Grandfather's cologne and log on to Genepartner.

If you don't want to overcome adversity or challenge your self while with a random person you happened to fall in love with - you don't have to! For today, at a small fee you can be matched with someone on the basis of your genetic compatibility.

How this all came about was, a series of tests was conducted where women were asked to smell some t-shirts that were worn by men for three consecutive days. After analyzing the human leukocyte antigen (HLA) molecule on each shirt, scientists found that the shirt each woman found most appealing contained HLA molecules that were most different from their own. Apparently sensing and classifying the HLA genes is something we humans do automatically and subconsciously.

Interesting to note, studies have also shown that children who's parent's had a higher HLA variation between them are shown to have better protection against a variety of diseases. Apparently comparing HLA genes can also help identify kinship and prevent potential inbreeding - so if you're ever feeling like you look a little "too" alike to your partner, maybe it's time to consider getting your HLA molecules inspected.

After buying one of these tests and submitting saliva samples, the lover-to-be can expect the following results sent to them and marked on a value scale from low to high:
  • Symmetry of attraction
  • Probability of a successful pregnancy
  • Type of interest
  • Level of attraction
  • Overall Result
I can't decide if I'm excited about this concept or not but I am a little curious to try it out, it's just a matter of convincing the old ball and chain to do it too. That, not to mention the fact I still haven't done the other DNA test I promised myself I would. Having said that, I still can't help but pull a stupid face when I think about what a crazy age we live in. I often find myself complaining about being 'born too late' and how the world is evolving too fast for our own good and how things used to be more simple blah blah blah, but then I can't help but get excited at the smorgasbÄrd of possibility that is out there for the taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment