Earlier this year, while attending ESSWE 4 in Gothenburg I had the opportunity to ask Genesis Breyer P-Orridge a question or two. When put on the spot like that, it was difficult to construct a question that would leave me feeling satisfied asking for the rest of my life - particularly when it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to receive a genuine answer from someone you wholly respect and appreciate.
I asked hir how to be happy - yes, I realize that isn't exactly the most uncomplicated of questions to ask, but s/he answered me immediately and without a moment of hesitation. I was told to travel and see the wide world; whether or not s/he meant that travel would grant me unequivocal access to happiness and nirvana I couldn't say, though I suspect the secret lies hidden within the experience of travelling to various locations and being exposed to strange and spontaneous things. Things that are not necessarily decorated with buzz words found in your average travel brochure such as "holiday" and "fun", but rather "learning" and "introspection".
Well, I sure as hell couldn't have asked for anything more from my travels in Peru and Bolivia. Spending this brief period of time in both countries has very much opened my eyes and mind and given me much to think and reflect upon, though I think the most poignant aspect that has stuck with me is that of the perception of life and existence. Having experienced and witnessed such devastating poverty first-hand has very much given me insight into my reality and how I dissect and perceive it. After all, I wouldn't have called this blog a surgical reality for nothing.
But...more on that to come. Recovery from such a trip takes time and my brain is still scattered in a million particles. In the meantime, know that I am in the midst of trying to put the pieces back together in a more beneficial and productive puzzle.
I asked hir how to be happy - yes, I realize that isn't exactly the most uncomplicated of questions to ask, but s/he answered me immediately and without a moment of hesitation. I was told to travel and see the wide world; whether or not s/he meant that travel would grant me unequivocal access to happiness and nirvana I couldn't say, though I suspect the secret lies hidden within the experience of travelling to various locations and being exposed to strange and spontaneous things. Things that are not necessarily decorated with buzz words found in your average travel brochure such as "holiday" and "fun", but rather "learning" and "introspection".
Well, I sure as hell couldn't have asked for anything more from my travels in Peru and Bolivia. Spending this brief period of time in both countries has very much opened my eyes and mind and given me much to think and reflect upon, though I think the most poignant aspect that has stuck with me is that of the perception of life and existence. Having experienced and witnessed such devastating poverty first-hand has very much given me insight into my reality and how I dissect and perceive it. After all, I wouldn't have called this blog a surgical reality for nothing.
But...more on that to come. Recovery from such a trip takes time and my brain is still scattered in a million particles. In the meantime, know that I am in the midst of trying to put the pieces back together in a more beneficial and productive puzzle.

No comments:
Post a Comment