Had I not been galavanting about some strange little island off the coast of Sweden last Friday, I would most certainly have written and dedicated my blog to the late, and great - Wendy O Williams.
Miss Williams, my Queen and Priestess, has been a major influence over my life. To me, she is a highly inspirational person both musically and personally. Everything from her wearing naught else but shaving cream on stage to dedicating her life to animal welfare and being a natural foods activist - I must confesss she definitely inspired me to take the latter two personal interests more seriously (the former I am yet to develop the courage to take publicly). I mean, even her having sex and collaborating with Lemmy is not something I consider casually. In my eyes, the woman did no wrong (with the exception of some of her later musical endeavours which I shan't discuss here).
Before she shot herself in the head with a shotgun on April 6th 1998, she wrote words that I know almost by heart because I find them so admirable and true to what I believe.
"I don't believe that people should take their own lives without deep and thoughtful reflection over a considerable period of time. I do believe strongly, however, that the right to do so is one of the most fundamental rights that anyone in a free society should have. For me, much of the world makes no sense, but my feelings about what I am doing ring loud and clear to an inner ear and a place where there is no self, only calm."
She attempted to commit suicide in 1993 by hammering a knife through her chest but changed her mind half way through and called a friend to take her to hospital. To me, this proves she wasn't yet ready to go at that point in time and her eventual decision in 1998 was not one made out of impulse. I totally admire that level of commitment and bravery - if only I could be half as dedicated I would probably achieve much greater things but alas I am merely a voyeur, observing the braver folk like some feral little pervert in the distance.
Miss Williams, my Queen and Priestess, has been a major influence over my life. To me, she is a highly inspirational person both musically and personally. Everything from her wearing naught else but shaving cream on stage to dedicating her life to animal welfare and being a natural foods activist - I must confesss she definitely inspired me to take the latter two personal interests more seriously (the former I am yet to develop the courage to take publicly). I mean, even her having sex and collaborating with Lemmy is not something I consider casually. In my eyes, the woman did no wrong (with the exception of some of her later musical endeavours which I shan't discuss here).Before she shot herself in the head with a shotgun on April 6th 1998, she wrote words that I know almost by heart because I find them so admirable and true to what I believe.
"I don't believe that people should take their own lives without deep and thoughtful reflection over a considerable period of time. I do believe strongly, however, that the right to do so is one of the most fundamental rights that anyone in a free society should have. For me, much of the world makes no sense, but my feelings about what I am doing ring loud and clear to an inner ear and a place where there is no self, only calm."
She attempted to commit suicide in 1993 by hammering a knife through her chest but changed her mind half way through and called a friend to take her to hospital. To me, this proves she wasn't yet ready to go at that point in time and her eventual decision in 1998 was not one made out of impulse. I totally admire that level of commitment and bravery - if only I could be half as dedicated I would probably achieve much greater things but alas I am merely a voyeur, observing the braver folk like some feral little pervert in the distance.
Here's to you Wendy, you incredible bitch. Your legacy lives on with love and pride. Thank you for existing.
She was in a movie I saw as a kid called Reform School Girls and always stuck in my (poor disturbed) mind from that. Bless Wendy.
ReplyDelete