This time, exactly one year ago today, I sipped alcohol for the last time for twelve months. It wasn't for any other real reason other than to see if I could do it, and I did. What did I get out of it? Well...I can say I did it, and I suppose I know I could do it again if I wanted - but other than that perhaps the only thing I can claim is regeneration of liver and brain cells.
It has been interesting, certainly as being the sober one around drunken friends can be. I thought it'd be a lot more annoying, but it wasn't in the slightest. Of course there are certain antics that a sober person doesn't find half as amusing as a drunk person does but still, nothing intolerable. Being around drunk people is fun even when I was sober all those times but it's not something I could do every weekend.
I've also noticed that being drunk is fun. I think? Gods I've missed being drunk. However now in this year of clarity, I've noticed how much more drunk I get than anyone I know. I suppose that has to do with me wanting to escape from the horrible realities on my mind and indulge completely in oblivion.
This year has been very intense and very introspective. Above all else, I've learned the value of TRUE friendship. What it means to me and how I can be a better friend to those I love.
I've also learned/know that I do have some kind of will-power and ability to stick to things I said I would do. As silly as that sounds, it's something I'm quite ashamed to admit I haven't always really done. I've survived one entire year without alcohol and saying no to it all the time, I clearly have the ability to resist temptation so it's just a matter of channeling that discipline into other weaknesses. I'm working on it.
It has been interesting, certainly as being the sober one around drunken friends can be. I thought it'd be a lot more annoying, but it wasn't in the slightest. Of course there are certain antics that a sober person doesn't find half as amusing as a drunk person does but still, nothing intolerable. Being around drunk people is fun even when I was sober all those times but it's not something I could do every weekend.
I've also noticed that being drunk is fun. I think? Gods I've missed being drunk. However now in this year of clarity, I've noticed how much more drunk I get than anyone I know. I suppose that has to do with me wanting to escape from the horrible realities on my mind and indulge completely in oblivion.
This year has been very intense and very introspective. Above all else, I've learned the value of TRUE friendship. What it means to me and how I can be a better friend to those I love.
I've also learned/know that I do have some kind of will-power and ability to stick to things I said I would do. As silly as that sounds, it's something I'm quite ashamed to admit I haven't always really done. I've survived one entire year without alcohol and saying no to it all the time, I clearly have the ability to resist temptation so it's just a matter of channeling that discipline into other weaknesses. I'm working on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment