Recently I've found myself most disappointed in two things; this so-called trend of anti-feminist feminism and self-proclaimed feminists who simply aren't cutting the mustard. But before I can commence my usual rant, I should perhaps very simply define what feminism means to me. Very generally speaking, feminism is the plight of seeking equality between the male and female gender. Equality in all regards be it social, economical, political or cultural - there should be no distinction between genders.
I think that's a reasonable enough request for any human to ask. To be treated fairly and the same as everyone else - to not be discriminated or profiled on the basis of gender. However, anti-feminist behaviour still rampantly exists and perhaps most disturbingly of all - it is perpetuated by other women!
I find it absolutely appalling that women would be against the idea of feminism because it's 'out-dated' or "irrelevant" in this day and age. This, by definition, means that there are women out there who actually believe that women do not have the same rights as men. This kind of mentality and attitude screams to me of a lack of education on the topic, combined with some kind of social-media "trending" - just have a look at some of the profoundly ignorant statements posted here. What an exceptionally warped perspective of feminism these women truly have - sadly, according to them, being a feminist apparently means you hate all men, don't shave your arm-pits and are bitter and malicious at all times. They seem to think that feminism means "feminazi" and that being a stay-at-home-mother is somehow looked down upon, or that financially relying on your partner is weak and old-fashioned - what absolute bullshit! Feminism is about having the freedom and opportunity to make whatever decision you want in life, without being told what to do. It is your RIGHT to do as you will with your life because it's YOUR life and no one else's! Good for you if you want to be a peroxide blonde, DD-silicone breast implanted woman on the arm of an ageing oil-tycoon, or if you want to raise your children while hubby goes to work - the freedom or right to do so first HAS to exist within a society that SUPPORTS and ENCOURAGES equal rights for both sexes. Why is this suddenly such a bad thing? As the actress Ellen Page said, “How could it be any more obvious that we still live in a patriarchal world when feminism is a bad word?"
And of course, my most hated of all the repetitive behaviours I witness is the perpetually banal and predictable behaviour displayed by insecure women, usually in social circles. Ya gotta love it when a self-proclaimed "feminist" turns out to showcase the most anti-feminist behaviour out of all the people in the room. Here's a little list of what feminism is NOT:
- Being jealous of women who are younger, prettier, skinnier, more talented, more popular than you;
- Only being friends with women who are considered not-threatening, i.e. not any of the above or who are in a long-term relationship and less likely to "steal" your boyfriend;
- Getting jealous when your boyfriend has female friends;
- Being more open and accepting when meeting new men, but not women;
- Trying to be "one-of-the-boys" but hating the girl who does the same thing;
- Forgiving men a lot easier and quicker than women;
- Not forgiving a woman but forgiving a man who committed the same or worse crime;
- Trying to assert yourself as "the best" out of the women in a circle of male/female friends;
- Generalizing all women, assuming you've figured us all out because you are one;
- Pretending to forgive a woman for the sake of male companions but secretly continuing to be malicious and resentful;
- Having more male friends than female because "males are better/easier" bullshit;
- Judging a woman's talent/ability and how they perform simply because she is a woman.
The list does indeed go on but this is a tired topic and sadly to me, involves very basic common sense which I think all women have *surely* got to know. I don't know, call me crazy but don't you think it's a little coincidental when certain "issues" tend to arise with the same one woman, mainly involving other women? All. The. Time.?
Of course men still have a long way to go as well. There definitely is a noticeable distinction of how some men treat or regard their female friends as opposed to how they do their male friends. But as part of my personal deprogramming, I really do try to see a person as just that. A person. An individual who just so happens to be male or female. A soul covered in flesh.
I don't necessarily even refer to myself as a 'feminist' anyway. I just believe in women's rights of equality, and that's basically it. That said, I do try to do my research and I wouldn't ever blindly vote for a party or subscribe to an idea simply because it's labelled "feminist". Sadly there are many such organisations that do not practice what they preach so it's important to be careful.
And again, I am reminded of this wonderful woman. Making men and women feel uncomfortable just by being a woman; Go Moira, go!
No comments:
Post a Comment