Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why...

Hunter S Thompson, now there's a name I like to say. It has a certain ring to it, a certain type of elegance that rolls off the tongue with each letter...Hunter Ssssss Thompson.


What is there to be said about a man who really said and thought so much? People speculate that the reason he put the gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger on this day in 2005 was quite literally because George Bush and "his" "politics" had pushed Thompson over the edge. He had little faith in the direction American politics was heading in and in wake of 9/11 and everything that followed it is not too unbelievable to consider that Thompson, with a lifelong interest in American politics and an overall patriot, decided enough was enough.

From riding with the Hell's Angels to carrying suitcases filled with a laboratory of drugs - it is not a peaceful, steady life that Thompson lead. As he himself once said, "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" and I must say I agree with his sentiments entirely. He truly was a remarkable and fascinating specimen and although no doubt somewhat difficult at times, I would still pay good money to spend time with that man.

One of the coolest aspects about his life was in fact his death and how, with thanks to Johnny Depps generosity, his plans of having his ashes blown out of a giant cannon came into fruition at his funeral - just how he said it would.

The timing of his death was certainly interesting, since he chose to go when his entire family was in the same house as him. I suppose that was just the way he wanted to end it, with his wife, son and grandchild somewhat by his side. Unfortunately his suicide note is not as profound as I would have liked it to be, but it makes for an interesting read nonetheless (as typed out on his trusty type-writer):

No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun – for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax – This won’t hurt.

Some genius quotes by the man that I would like to quote wherever appropriate (thought I never do!):

  • "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
  • "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes."
  • "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
  • "America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable."

No comments:

Post a Comment