Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Going on tour with Graham Hancock

Last year in October, The Colonel and I woke up at approximately 4am because we wanted to watch the sunrise from the most easterly point of Australia. Tired and groggy, we stood at the edge of the cliff waiting for the moment to witness the rising Ra...and waited, and waited, and waited we did until we waited some more. Each time it got brighter we looked towards the horizon eagerly anticipating the glorious sight however to our disappointment we realised the sun had already risen and the overcast clouds were blocking our view.

As we made our way back to the car, we discussed what we were going to have for breakfast - both admitting our desperate need for a good dose of caffeine. Then, as if I was pointing out a tree in the woods, I pointed to our left and very casually said, "Oh look, there's Graham Hancock", not even believing myself what I was saying. The Colonel made some sarcastic comment and shortly after I responded, "Uh...actually, that really is Graham Hancock" - to which we both exchanged surprised glances and stared at him in disbelief.

After some minor scuffling and hesitation, we proceeded to stalk Hancock down the mountain - me poking my old man in the ribs to prompt him to say something because we were both too wimpy to ask for a photo. It got to the point where we were effectively breathing down Hancock's neck until finally I (of course) decided to say something - I don't even remember what I said any more, but as per usual in my nervous and anxious state, it would have been something embarrassing and completely uninspiring. Fortunately The Colonel was much more nervous than I and blathered out some nonsensical sentences which made me look like a genius in comparison - I even added, "He's so star-struck right now he can barely talk", which of course did no favours for The Colonel's predicament. A few short and awkward moments and a photograph or two later, Santha Hancock filmed us very briefly and we parted ways. Needless to say, both of us did not require a double shot of coffee to wake up after that particular moment in time.

As life drudgingly continued since that day, we remained convinced we couldn't possibly top that morning and resigned ourselves to the sad fact that we would never get to meet Mr Hancock again. The struggle to maintain existence in this cruel world would continue but at least we had our memory to remind us of good times passed.

Until...

In October this year only 35 people from the entire globe have been invited on a first-in, first-served basis to go on tour with the one and only as he goes on a research tour for his sequel to 'Fingerprints of the Gods'. I don't think I need to spell out who 2 of those 35 people are, and all I really have to say about the matter is: holy fucking shit.

I'm going to create another blog about our time there, and in the meantime I've got a myriad of reading to catch up on. 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, it really is quite an extraordinary and unique experience. I almost feel undeserving of it.

      Delete