Thursday, 11 July 2013

Why I don't wear a bra any more


One topic that leaves me dreary is this "so-called issue" of women wearing bras, as if the topic should still be of some kind of major relevance today. As far as I'm concerned, there are slightly more important battles to fight regarding the feminist cause than that of the antiquarian argument that bras are in some way degrading/upgrading. I would much rather see a proposal for a family planning/abortion clinic than witness a bra-burning rally in the streets.

So it is with some trepidation I write this post, for fear of giving the false impression that just because I choose not to wear a bra that I in some way oppose or judge women who do. This isn't the case at all. Whilst I generally don't feel the need to explain or reiterate any opinions I express here it is, after all, the internet - the magical la-la land where misinterpretation is a second-language.

What's important for me to express is that I support the freedom of choice, stance of equality and free-will of women. The freedom to decide who, what, when, where and how they live their lives according to beliefs and values derived from personal experience, rather than any influence imposed by the patriarchy.

In February this year, as I was dressing myself to go out - I found myself disatisfied with the appearance of my chest and sought out to rectify the problem by putting on a much more padded and contour shaping bra. It wasn't until I stopped and looked at my newly acquired bust in the mirror that a minor wave of what might be called shame swept over me; I realized I had only put the bra on because I wanted others to think I had larger breasts. Since when did I have to impress complete strangers on the street with two bulging lies protruding from my chest? And not only that, how did this way of thinking even enter my mind in the first place?

Growing up I was a late bloomer , almost as flat as a wall until I was 18 which suited me just fine since I was a very androgynous teenager anyway. To this day I can still remember my uncle asking me when my 'strawberries' were going to turn into 'melons' (horrific, I know) and despite the fact I actually didn't mind not having breasts, I felt like something must have been wrong with me. Once I finally grew something resembling a woman's chest, I of course did what all women are "supposed" to do and bought a bra. Throughout the years I continued to wear a bra not because I needed support  (I don't, these bad boys aren't sizeable enough to warrant any type of maintenance), rather I wore them in order to "gain cleavage" and look bigger.

Perhaps it's because I am nearing my 30's, or perhaps it's because I am in a long-term relationship or perhaps it's because I just didn't give a damn in the first place...but finally, I am at peace with my not-so-amazing chest protrusion and have not worn a bra for months. For the first few weeks I found it incredibly uncomfortable and felt like I was juggling about all over the place but now I absolutely love it - I feel like I've gained a little bit of myself back, even though it looks like there's less on the exterior. I only make the exception when I exercise because my puppies aren't that small that they don't hurt when I run; my sports bra pretty much turns me from not-so-large chested to almost hollow-chested, which is great because there is nothing weighing me down or bouncing all over the shop.

Having said all this - I'm always the first one to appreciate a great set of breasts if I see them. If a woman chooses to wear a low-cut top and extreme-push up bra and have them all up in my face - well by golly, who am I to ignore them? If it is a woman's choice to show off her breasts then why not? They are beautiful things and exclusive to only half of the human race so if you've got it, flaunt it if you want to. Boobs not big enough? Get some implants! Whatever makes you feel good. What's important for me is that as long as what you, as a woman, are doing is for your self - that's what matters.

While searching the internet for relevant images to this post, I found out that according to the internet - July 9th is America's 'No-Bra Day'. Since the date has already passed, I would suggest people draw their attention to October being the Breast Cancer awareness month and donate to a worthy cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment