Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Another tongue


I'm told it will be easier to learn Swedish because I know Polish fluently and some basic German. I, however, would beg to differ. Yes I acknowledge that it will assist in pronunciation and maybe recognising a few words but from what I noticed in my lesson yesterday, I am also going to get quite confused.

I've determined that my brain makes meaning through a certain filtering process of which I will provide a very basic example:

WORD:  English meaning > Polish meaning > German meaning > Swedish meaning

I don't necessarily rely on this in everyday life where English is the dominate language, but any time I've previously been in another country the above mentioned modus operandi is generally always adopted (minus the most recent inclusion of Swedish).

I've already come across a few words which have contrasting meanings in each language and I strongly suspect this will only become counter-productive when I will be learning Swedish (and eventually hope to polish up my German).

To maybe somehow demonstrate what I mean, using the above example I will reference a couple of basic words and how they translate and vary from one another:

I: Self/me (English) > And (Polish) > Self/me (German) > In (Swedish)

MITT: Baseball glove (English) > Myth (Polish) > With (German) > My/mine (Swedish)

Here's to learning yet another language!

No comments:

Post a Comment