Tuesday, 13 September 2011

So close, yet so far...

Generally I can get away with the least amount of verbal communication possible (I've found having earphones in both ears acts as a natural deterrent) and I've had a pretty good track record so far.

I was paying my regular visit to the grocery store and had gotten to the paying stage without any qualms, I'd even managed the obligatory, "Hej" and politely declining the offer of a receipt, "Nej, tack." And so there I was at the end of the cashier counter loading my backpack with groceries, smug in yet another successful venture at fooling the locals that I could understand their language, until my bag of oranges broke and spilled out on to the floor. I made a little groaning noise and started to pick up the oranges before I could hear someone saying something, by the time I stood up I noticed the concerned cashier lady and the seven or eight people waiting in line looking at me as she repeated her statement; "...err, nej...it's...okay...tack." She gave me a somewhat bemused look, followed by a polite smile and then proceeded to assist the next customer who was still looking at me in confusion.

I knew it. She knew it. They all knew it. My cover was blown. Earphones back in ears. Stuff asparagus into side pocket of overflowing backpack. Walk out.

No comments:

Post a Comment