Thursday, 29 September 2011

Knowing the basics

It's rather amusing to think I am completely oblivious to what Swedes would consider basic knowledge; I don't even know what the emergency phone number is let alone my statutory rights! For all I know, a policeman could handcuff me, strip me of my clothing and have their wicked way with me...though given the Swedish police uniform and those that wear it, maybe this is a right I would consider waiving.

Not what it sounds like
Even seemingly insignificant things like not knowing what the equivalent of KMart or Target is so I can pick up a 4-pack of knickers, bicycle tyre and a limited edition collectors tin of biscuits under the same affordable roof; or when I might require something specifically pertaining to feminine needs (see: Priceline) I wouldn't have a clue where to go other than the local supermarket.

There's a totally different system here which I am obviously alien to and I am sure it will take some time until I gain some insight into this secret local knowledge. Until then I guess I'll just have to keep ripping myself off by buying things that feel overpriced from stores that seem they shouldn't be selling certain items, i.e. David Jones selling cotton buds and packets of razors.


No comments:

Post a Comment