A few years ago, I watched 'Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer', a documentary about female serial killer, Aileen Wuornos. Aside from it being compelling viewing, I have since been slightly obsessed with a phrase that Wuornos used in an interview the day before her execution. I've always been fascinated with what people say before they die, and Aileen Wuornos' words are by far some of the most warped and pitiful things I've heard.In a final interview with the documentary film maker (Nick Broomfield), Wuornos revealed she had been tortured and mistreated by the prison and that they were attempting to control her mind with sonic pressure. I have since borrowed the phrase and whenever I use it I almost always say it in some sort of weird honour to Aileen. The documentary indeed raised questions as to whether or not the State had accurately examined the sanity of the woman they sentenced to death by lethal injection.
On October 9th, 2002 - Wuornos was brought into the death chamber and was given the opportunity to say her final words:
"Yes, I would just like to say I'm sailing with the rock, and I'll be back, like Independence Day with Jesus. June 6, like the movie. Big mother ship and all, I'll be back, I'll be back."
She died at 9:47 AM, at 46 years of age.
It's a little difficult for me to have any opinions as to whether or not I can empathise with her - sure, I hold a certain level of contempt for society but I'm quite sure I would not put myself in a situation where I get arrested and spend the rest of my years in jail. Of course, Aileen had an absolutely awful upbringing and I couldn't possibly imagine the life she led up to the point before she killed the first of her six victims. For hers was a sad existence, influenced by rape, hatred and neglect - surely not the best lessons to be taught at a young age. I suppose it goes to show one of the directions a person can take after suffering years of rejection and abuse.
Despite Wuornos' obvious dislike of the movie, I would strongly recommend to anyone who knows about, or is interested in Aileen Wuornos to watch the movie 'Monster'. Charlize Theron absolutely deserved to win an Academy Award for her performance - though I would suggest watching the documentary beforehand.
I knew I wasn't the only one who thought sonic pressure was cool!!!
ReplyDelete