Friday, 7 October 2011

An immigrant at immigrant school

In the ten years I have owned a mobile phone, I have never lost one - sadly, this week was the first time it has happened to me and it was due to someone stealing it.

Now before anyone puts on their politically correct cap, no - I'm not saying that only an immigrant would steal my phone however I am saying that my school is most certainly a place where there are people who come from very different backgrounds be it cultural, racial or some other social demographic.

I was late for class but I desperately needed to go to the toilet - ironically, prior to entering the bathroom I was on the phone being sweet as pie performing my loving granddaughter duties. I think I put the phone in the back pocket of my jeans but since I was removing them anyway I put the phone on the bathroom sink. Do my business. Wash my hands.  Dry hands. Make face at self in mirror. Run to class. Sit down at class. Reach for pocket to turn phone on silent. No phone. Quickly scavenge through body parts. Realise phone is on the sink. Run back. Phone is gone. The toilet seat is up.


It just makes me feel better
Why anyone would want to steal a battered old brick of a phone is beyond me and beside the obvious inconvenience of losing all my local and international numbers, I also had a lot of personal photo's on it too. Not only have I been robbed, I feel violated as well.

That day I don't think I absorbed anything that was taught in class - I checked with reception, I scoured the area, I tried calling my number and I even wrote a note on the public notice board in Svenska and Engelska. I spoke to my teacher about it and it seems like it is not an irregular occurrence. I recalled last week when the teacher told us about the school being broken into last month and twenty five school laptops were stolen - the only way the laptops could have been accessed was by entering a door code that had been given to students.

And of course that night when I arrive home I received two emails from potential employers who had been trying to reach me that day. At least the thieving genius had the presence of mind to turn the phone off.

The following day I got my phone number back and a substitute old phone but my mood still hadn't really improved. At school during our lunch break I was sitting in the kitchen area next to the fridge with two colleagues of mine, I was silently mourning my loss while the two girls were chatting away when we all noticed a woman walking around rather quickly. We half watched her, half continued talking when suddenly the woman walked up to the fridge, opened the door very quickly, pulled out a lunch box and something else and shoved them into her bag. She then grabbed a small child from around the corner and together they scurried off.

Sadly for one of my classmates, he did not have any lunch that day...

No comments:

Post a Comment