The "novelty" of being an immigrant in Sweden is beginning to wear thin and I have suspicions this blog is headed towards regions of the unknown. Perhaps it will turn into yet another clichéd 'A day in the life of...' blog comprising of plebian observations and droll photo's- I'm not sure.
It just seems unfair that I continually have this 'me vs them' attitude in a country that has willingly adopted me for two years. 'Temporary resident' I may be but a resident nonetheless and it's time I started thinking like one - if I came here to embrace the culture then I have to stop being so fucking awkward about it all the time.
Though I suppose it's difficult not to think like an outsider when living in a country that is so rich in history and is so set in its ways and I am completely foreign to pretty much everything. I've come to really notice the impact of isolation in Australia and the differences of living in a country that is actually connected to other countries.
Regardless I am going to attempt to keep an open-mind from here on in. I'm not going to promise that just yet because I don't break promises and I am pretty certain I will retreat to wimpdom sooner rather than later.
It just seems unfair that I continually have this 'me vs them' attitude in a country that has willingly adopted me for two years. 'Temporary resident' I may be but a resident nonetheless and it's time I started thinking like one - if I came here to embrace the culture then I have to stop being so fucking awkward about it all the time.
Though I suppose it's difficult not to think like an outsider when living in a country that is so rich in history and is so set in its ways and I am completely foreign to pretty much everything. I've come to really notice the impact of isolation in Australia and the differences of living in a country that is actually connected to other countries.
Regardless I am going to attempt to keep an open-mind from here on in. I'm not going to promise that just yet because I don't break promises and I am pretty certain I will retreat to wimpdom sooner rather than later.

God I know this feeling soooo fucking well. You feel like such a cunt, not enjoying this magical, european land you have come to live in when your friends in Australia would kill to be there. But its fucking difficult and can be lonely. You just want to chat with someone that understands your humour completely, see your old friends, eat food that tastes normal. You realise how un-useful your Australian education is, and that they will ALWAYS hire someone that speaks their language, over someone that doesn't. When you try to practice they will speak to you in English. At parties everyone will slip back into speaking their mothertongue while your brain tires and strains to understand a bit of what is going on. You can do it though! I gave up.
ReplyDeleteYES! Thank you - someone understands. I reckon I'm too stubborn to give up any time soon and luckily I know some pretty amazing people here who have really helped me adjust and make me feel welcome.
ReplyDelete