Thursday, 20 October 2011

Is it quiet in a deaf persons home?

It is not without a strong layer of irony dripping from the spores of this post that I write about the first time I decided against listening to music on public transport in Stockholm.

Having gone to school for four weeks now I felt it was appropriate to start and at least try to utilise some of what I have learned. Though instead of trying to speak this foreign tongue and make a complete arsehat of myself more so than usual, I figured I'd opt for the more practical and shred-of-dignity-saving approach: listening in on Swedish people talking and trying to understand what they are saying (in the least Single White Female way possible).

The very day I make this seemingly significant decision in my fragile existence, I board the train and nervously put away my iPod in a completely unnatural and awkward manner. While sitting on a chair which was nicely tucked away between the end of the carriage and the window, I realise the loner position was not especially optimal for potential eavesdropping so I skulked away from my comfort zone to spy a beautiful sight of four empty seats comprising of two rows facing each other: perfect.

As the train pulled up to the next stop I almost salivated on my seat at the amount of people about to board. A group of elderly people walked towards me so I casually gazed out the window, adjusting myself to look as though I wasn't desperately anticipating their company. I even smirked to myself that since they were old they would probably talk a lot slower, thus maximising my ability to understand. Train takes off. Sign language ensues. And not just between one or two of them - I was surrounded by a group of deaf/dumb Swedes. At least they "looked" Swedish anyway. Earphones shoved back in ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment