Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Shopping

There are what I would consider some rather peculiar arrangements in the local grocery stores here, such as where certain items are placed in an aisle. Since I am garnished with over ten years of grocery shopping experience, I find myself expecting to find things in aisles where I would naturally go to in Australia, however sometimes what I am looking for is not there and located somewhere else - somewhere slightly illogical.

Though the most curious thing in Swedish grocery stores is the barrel of pickled cucumbers where one and all can pluck out their desired gherkin from the dip. I still don't know how I feel about that. Initially excited anyway.

And of course, trying to lead an organic lifestyle is almost completely out of the question while I'm still on a budget. Not only do I not know where the organic wholesalers are (nor should I be able to afford them right now) but I can't even read what is organic in the regular grocery store because I can't read most of the words! Very rarely do I come across an item that has some English on it since most things are in Swedish (funny that), though sometimes I have the option of Finnish or Danish as well.

Just this afternoon as I was standing in an aisle trying to decipher words and numbers (I'm still not used to the concept of paying 40.00kr for a small tub of honey), I realised how long I stand and stare at things.

I must look like an even bigger creep than I think I am, because after what was probably ten minutes of standing like an autistic mute in the toothpaste section a lady approached me asking me if I needed any assistance. "Yes, as a matter of fact I do" (followed by the obligatory apology that I don't speak Swedish). "I'm looking for herbal toothpaste." The woman blinked at me in bewilderment and told me she hadn't even heard of such a thing before. After another five minutes or so of standing and chewing my lip I picked out something that said 'naturligt' and hoped for the best. I'm pretty sure it isn't herbal toothpaste but I can only hope and assume there are at least some organic substances lurking within the tube.

2 comments:

  1. The oddest place for shopping for me was Prague.
    Only the Czechs would put tampons, chips and pet food in the same aisle - and personanlly, I'm Ok with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention it, just yesterday I was in the baby (human) and pet products section.

    ReplyDelete