I made the decision that I am going to attempt to immerse myself in as much traditional Jul practice as I possibly can, not just to familiarise myself with the culture but also out of great respect for the very long history behind many a thing.
I'm sure to the average Swede these are probably lame and boring things, but for a foreigner whose country's primary influence is America it's actually really interesting to notice and learn about how other countries treat Christmas time, or as I now prefer to call it: Jul. The name Jul derives from the hundreds and hundreds years old Scando-Germanic Pagan winter solstice celebration - and of course, we all know where "Christmas" really comes from. I think I exhausted the pleasure of explaining the heritage of Christ mass a few years ago when I actually cared to explain it so instead I will focus on a few quick things to note:
Nuts and nut crackers are now being exclusively sold as this is something that is generally done around a warm fire - while of course drinking Glögg, which is spicy mulled wine usually served warm.
Here is Jultomten's seat, where children sit upon his knee and whisper their dreams into his ear. The seat is made out of solid tree and is adorned with bear (or boar?) skins. In the background is the elves workshop, typically in Australia one might see the stable setting where Jesus was born together with the three kings and all that jive - I have yet to see any reference to the Christian Christmas yet.
The Dala Horse is a traditional Swedish symbol seen throughout the year and in this case it is made out of straw and 'Jul'-disized. The Dala Horse is approximately 400 years old though probably much older and is said by some to have been a model of Odin's horse.
Gingerbread was brought to Sweden in the 13th Century and has since been a very popular tradition to have around Christmas. One can purchase a Gingerbread house kit to assemble and decorate with icing and sweets. I think the packet of "Pebernodder" is actually Danish since I don't recognise some of the letters so I apologise to any Swedes who may get offended by it.
No comments:
Post a Comment