The Watain, The Devil's Blood and Malign gig was great. It was also pretty spectacular to hear a cover of Bathory's 'A Fine Day to Die' courtesy of Watain - they did the song absolute justice.
There was a good turn up of people though this was slightly inconvenient for me while waiting outside in the cold weather but once I was inside and rid of my jacket in the cloak room I was comfortably numb again. I had a slight panic attack when Johan told me there was no ATM machine at the venue and I had no money in my wallet - silly Australian. They pay for drinks with bankcards at the bar, even if it is for just one drink - in fact, physical money is almost frowned upon in Sweden and is making less of an appearance as time passes. The favourite part: no bank transaction fee's.
I watched The Devil's Blood from afar and it was just..magickal. I chose to get up close and personal with Watain since the last few times I had seen them I had always been quite far away - that, plus there's nothing quite like being soaked in the sweat of surrounding men mixed with the aroma of freshly washed hair.
I would definitely recommend to any Aussies reading this to check out Watain when/if they go to Australia next year. They offer a very special experience for those brave enough to get close to the stage. The only annoying thing you might have to contend with is the hobby photographers who stand in front of you in the pit holding their camera in the air and blocking the view. Hey buddy, I realize you're relying on the awesome quality of your camera and some luck to capture a picture you will later claim was premeditated but please - take your bazillion clicks per second finger and stick it elsewhere, people are trying to watch the show.
Whilst I didn't actually say this to said culprit, I did tap him on the shoulder after a few songs of him carrying on and said, "Enough." He got the picture (pun intended, sorry) and some people behind me gave me the thumbs up in appreciation.
After they had finished playing, E from Watain struck upon what appeared to be a ceremonial gong with what appeared to be a human bone thirteen times, signifying the thirteenth year of their existence.
There was a good turn up of people though this was slightly inconvenient for me while waiting outside in the cold weather but once I was inside and rid of my jacket in the cloak room I was comfortably numb again. I had a slight panic attack when Johan told me there was no ATM machine at the venue and I had no money in my wallet - silly Australian. They pay for drinks with bankcards at the bar, even if it is for just one drink - in fact, physical money is almost frowned upon in Sweden and is making less of an appearance as time passes. The favourite part: no bank transaction fee's.
I watched The Devil's Blood from afar and it was just..magickal. I chose to get up close and personal with Watain since the last few times I had seen them I had always been quite far away - that, plus there's nothing quite like being soaked in the sweat of surrounding men mixed with the aroma of freshly washed hair.
I would definitely recommend to any Aussies reading this to check out Watain when/if they go to Australia next year. They offer a very special experience for those brave enough to get close to the stage. The only annoying thing you might have to contend with is the hobby photographers who stand in front of you in the pit holding their camera in the air and blocking the view. Hey buddy, I realize you're relying on the awesome quality of your camera and some luck to capture a picture you will later claim was premeditated but please - take your bazillion clicks per second finger and stick it elsewhere, people are trying to watch the show.
Whilst I didn't actually say this to said culprit, I did tap him on the shoulder after a few songs of him carrying on and said, "Enough." He got the picture (pun intended, sorry) and some people behind me gave me the thumbs up in appreciation.
After they had finished playing, E from Watain struck upon what appeared to be a ceremonial gong with what appeared to be a human bone thirteen times, signifying the thirteenth year of their existence.



No comments:
Post a Comment