Friday, 18 November 2011

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

As I'm sure it is currently happening in Australia, Christmas decorations and related material are rife within all stores. Though the difference I've noticed thus far is that Christmas in Sweden has its own historical roots and traditions - ones I am yet to learn and they don't appear to have much influence from America, unlike a lot of Australian Christmas tradition.

There doesn't appear to be much, if any, reference to Christianity or the birth of Jesus Christ as Sweden does not recognise this. Despite the fact that some Swedes go to church on December 26th, they actually do so in honour of St Stephen - who was the patron saint of animals. It is an old tradition to give farm animals extra food on that day.

Before this accidentally turns into a Christmas blog, I will instead briefly focus on a couple of items I saw in my local grocery store this afternoon - all of which all appear to be very traditionally Swedish.

Firstly and certainly most importantly is Julmust, a drink which is only made available during Christmas time (however there is also an Easter version). Here you see it appropriately placed beside the water supply since this drink truly is the nectar of the gods. I can't describe the taste in any other way other than perhaps a mixture between Dr Pepper and the elixir of Life itself - only better.


Christmas decoration is taken so seriously to the point where moss is especially harvested and prepared for use as traditional tabletop decoration for candles. Little gnomes and quirky mushrooms are also purchased to dwell within the moss, amongst other kooky things.



Another unfamiliar character I see lurking about is 'Jultomten' - Sweden's bearer of gifts which could be described as a mix between the traditional British Santa and a gnome.

More than anything though, I cannot wait for the Christmas Smorgasbord where I will eat myself to the point of hallucination and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment