It's amusing to think how ignorant I was in my former assumption that English is the so-called 'international language' and in order to survive on a cross-cultural basis, one should know how to speak it.
After talking in Swedish with a Hungarian girl in my class, who was a physics teacher in her homeland, I was quite surprised to discover that she could not speak virtually any English. At first I was almost confused - how could someone not know English in this day and age?
I guess if I think about it, there's really no need for her to know English - once she masters Swedish she will know Hungarian, German and Swedish fluently and I'm sure her existence will go undisturbed without having to learn the Queen's language.
Then again, I think Chinese is more commonly spoken anyway.
After talking in Swedish with a Hungarian girl in my class, who was a physics teacher in her homeland, I was quite surprised to discover that she could not speak virtually any English. At first I was almost confused - how could someone not know English in this day and age?
I guess if I think about it, there's really no need for her to know English - once she masters Swedish she will know Hungarian, German and Swedish fluently and I'm sure her existence will go undisturbed without having to learn the Queen's language.
Then again, I think Chinese is more commonly spoken anyway.

When I lived in Hungary I very rarely met people that spoke English. Most people did German at school, especially outside of the tourist area. They have no need for it. Ahh magyar.
ReplyDeleteWhat an intense language. Can't wait to visit that country.
ReplyDelete