Almost every Swede I encounter asks me how I could possibly move away from one of the warmest continents on the planet to one of the coldest. As if the prospect of replacing over-zealous sunshine and head-ache inducing glare with beautiful darkness is such a difficult notion to comprehend.
At the risk of sounding like some sort of tragic, mid-90's poetic goth I can safely proclaim that I do not relate with the qualms of my Swedish peers that Winter and its consequences is depressing or in some way a bad thing. I have found great beauty in the transition of seasons such as the slow death of plant-life, the drastic change of weather conditions and the effects on instinctual and personal habits such as hibernation and entertainment. When you live on the northern hemisphere of a planet that rotates around the sun you simply have to adjust to the conditions and see them for what they are - it's simple science, baby.
Or maybe I'm just saying these things because a Swedish Winter is still a novelty for me - I haven't yet experienced the full effects of Vitamin D deficiency (even though I have to take supplements for that anyway) and I am still viewing everything with a fresh perspective.
At the risk of sounding like some sort of tragic, mid-90's poetic goth I can safely proclaim that I do not relate with the qualms of my Swedish peers that Winter and its consequences is depressing or in some way a bad thing. I have found great beauty in the transition of seasons such as the slow death of plant-life, the drastic change of weather conditions and the effects on instinctual and personal habits such as hibernation and entertainment. When you live on the northern hemisphere of a planet that rotates around the sun you simply have to adjust to the conditions and see them for what they are - it's simple science, baby.
Or maybe I'm just saying these things because a Swedish Winter is still a novelty for me - I haven't yet experienced the full effects of Vitamin D deficiency (even though I have to take supplements for that anyway) and I am still viewing everything with a fresh perspective.
You should go out to the shop and buy some liquid vitamin D before it gets completely dark. Although I found winter beautiful and amazing in Finland I still suffered seasonal affective disorder due to a lack of vitamin D. As an Aussie who usually doesn't have this because we always have sun, this can hit you like a tonne of bricks. One day I just started crying at the dinner table, and didn't stop. I'm still on vitamin D supplements cause I was so fucked when I came back and that was years ago.
ReplyDeleteErgh. That is certainly something I could do without...
ReplyDeleteI didn't know there was liquid vitamin D? I'll definitely check it out once my monster Vitamin D supply runs out.
Yeah, it's an intense sounding language. I can't wait to check the country out.
ReplyDelete